Jesus: The Movie(s)

A few years back, Mel Gibson gave us "The Passion of the Christ."  I went to see it with a group of pastors and the things I remember most about the movie were some of the odd questions I had before I went in.  Does one get popcorn before watching a movie about Jesus?  I decided no.  Nor does one get Sweet Tarts or any other candy.  It just doesn't fit to get a sugar rush during the Sermon on the Mount.
Secondly, I found myself asking "What previews do you show with this?"  Answer:  Spider-Man 2 and The Day After Tomorrow.  Spider-Man seemed way out of place.  The Day After Tomorrow seemed more fitting - something about apocalyptic movies and Bible movies.  While they don't have to go together, they do seem related.

Anyway, I found that the movie was quite an emotional experience.  A well done film and one I recommend.  But it isn't my favorite.

I've seen plenty of movies about Jesus.  Some focus on particular aspects of his life.  The Passion of the Christ seemed to focus on Jesus getting beaten mercilessly (I would add that there is far more to the story of Jesus than his being whipped by blood-crazed Roman soldiers).  Some focus on the birth narrative, some on the Easter story.  A few focus on the teachings of Jesus but that isn't as dramatic - unless you make the movie about the story like the parable of the Good Samaritan or the prodigal son.

In seeing so many movies about Jesus, I begin to find that I have favorites and less-than favorites.  The two that keep coming to the top (for me, anyway) are these:
Jesus of Nazareth - it was a made for television special that ran several nights and came in at a whopping 382 minutes long (that's over 6 hours).  But it was one of the first movies I ever saw about Jesus and it has stayed with me all these years.  Robert Powell plays a thin, blue-eyed, dark-haired Jesus with a British accent.  And even though I know that is almost completely historically incorrect (the dark hair works), that is the image of Jesus that still comes to mind most quickly.

I re-watched the movie and, though a bit overdone in some places, I find it still to be a good attempt to tell the story of Jesus.  It has drama whereas The Passion of the Christ has violence - and quite visible violence, I would add.

The other favorite of mine is The Last Temptation of Christ.
Oh boy.
If you lived through the 80's and if you lived in the South, you know that this movie caused all kinds of protests, outcries, and many a sermon against the decadence of Hollywood and the agendas that are conspiring to rid the world of the Christian influence.

But most of these people didn't know that the movie was based on a book of the same name by Nikos Kazantzakis published in 1953.  And while Willem Dafoe doesn't quite work as Jesus (though he carries the idea of Jesus quite well), when David Bowie comes on screen as Pontius Pilate, it does give one pause.

I won't get into the whole controversy of the film, and I recognize that it isn't based on the Gospels per se, but it does present the humanity of Jesus and the idea of Jesus struggling to align his will to the will of God (reminiscent of his prayer in the Garden - "Take this cup from me, but if not, then your will be done.").  As such, I find it to bring a level of connection to the viewer that others do not.  A Jesus who struggles is accessible where a Jesus who is too aloof becomes more mythic than an exemplar of faith.

I find from all of this, though, that there are as many interpretations of Jesus on film as there are interpretations of his message within the myriad Christian denominations.  Some connect, some do not.  But we have to look and listen closely - like we must to the Gospel texts themselves - because even in those which aren't our favorite, we might find an idea we have never encountered before.

So, do you have a favorite Jesus movie?  If so, what is it and why?  I would be interested to hear.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Pastoral Authority

The Defenders