...and the flipside

Allegations are just that.  Sometimes they are strong sometimes they are weak.  But they are allegations.  I believe they should be investigated and then once the evidence is in, the verdict rendered. 

I know that sometimes I sound as if I think politicians should bow out based on allegations.  I have to admit I am not always sure about that.  Perhaps it depends on the allegation and the severity of it.  I mean, wouldn't it behoove our political landscape if people had to suspend their campaigns until things were cleared up?  Of course I know, given our political landscape, that the "clearing up" probably wouldn't happen in a timely manner and would become another means of political warfare.

But they should be addressed.  They should not, however, be the means of judgment. 

Allegations should begin the process.  And that applies across the board.  Our rush to judgment is something of a sad commentary on the nature of our view of other people, justice, and the right to face accusers.  So far as I have heard, only Louis C. K. has come out and said, "It's all true."  Good for him for fessing up.  Bad for him for confessing to behavior that is far unbecoming. 

Let me move away from politics for a moment and move to something that never has any politics involved.  Church. 

In the church, allegations are, it seems, proof.  I know within the bounds of the Conference in which I serve, there have been many a pastor who have been removed from their pastorate and had their orders removed (which is to say they are no longer an ordained pastor in the United Methodist Church) because of allegations. 

I will also say that in most of these instances, the allegations turn out to be true.  But not always.  Still, our reaction is quick and severe.  I sometimes wonder if, as an institution whose message has a lot of grace, we have a too legalistic approach to one another.

So I won't say that Roy Moore did it.  Trump is correct in saying that Moore denies it.  This doesn't mean he didn't, but it does suggest that there needs to be some kind of investigation.  Get the truth out. 

Who am I kidding?  Truth?  What is truth?

And it is here that we find ourselves as a nation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Pastoral Authority

The Defenders