A Reflection

When I started writing this blog, I thought I would offer a place of introspection, reflection, observation and so on.  I quoted Alan Watts and said that we (meaning the larger human race) are all that we have.  I mean that.

I thought I would put a voice out there just to see what might happen.  And it hasn't been what I thought, but it hasn't been bad. 

My concern is that I am merely adding to the noise that is out there.  There are so many voices shouting and clamoring for attention.  I find that I wonder if I am making a positive contribution or a negative one or am I simply adding to the sound of the buzz that is social media. 

I suppose that the answer lies in what I want from this blog. 

I began to write here as a place to ponder.  I have a friend who writes a monthly post that is well read and well thought out.  I know it takes him some time to write, but I find it worth my time to read.  That was something that I probably hoped for in the beginning.  But in the noise that is online, I have found that my goal isn't necessarily to be popular. 

It would be false modesty if I said I didn't want to be popular.

However, I have been slowly working towards a different way of thinking about life (largely without realizing it) and that translates into my expectations of this blog.

Contentment.  And that's what I have.  I am content with what it is.  If it becomes more, I am fine with that, too.  But the point is more of being happy with what I have.  I enjoy writing.  When I started, I wrote every week.  Given my schedule now, that isn't always as possible, but I am going to try to do so unless I find that I want to write twice a month and write something larger each time.

But as it is, I find that I am satisfied.  I do this for others, but I do this mostly for me.  That isn't selfishness in a negative sense, but it is about my self, as would be any blog by anyone else.  It is their self invested in creating something.  And that's what I want to do.  Create.

In that is no desire to be the loudest anymore.  I did have that at one time - but that was before there was such a thing as blogs.  This is about reflecting.  And that's where I started.  That's where I am again, but this time I find I am more satisfied with doing my thing and those who come along side are more than welcome.  That's because they are coming along side of me as I am, not as a persona.  At least, not one that I deliberately created to obfuscate myself or my thoughts.

So I may contribute to the noise in the sense that I am writing a blog online.  Like every voice online, I am just another one.  But my intentions are just to offer thoughts and observations for any who would care to comment or read, but also so that I can focus my own thinking.  Writing is an exercise - or at least it can be - in which I process my thoughts. 

I appreciate you being with me as I do so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Pastoral Authority

The Defenders